Re: [linux-audio-user] search: free vst plugins

From: studio-64 <fsmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 14:50:24 EET

Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:19:07 +0100
> FRitz <fritz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>>Esben Stien wrote:

>>>Be adviced that these are not free software plugins in the sense of
>>>freedom. They are merely proprietary gratis software.
>>>

>>What's the difference in real life?
>

> Think about it a bit. You want to change it -> you can't with gratis
> proprietary software, but you can with free software. A discontinued
> proprietary software cannot be developed further by the community, etc.
> pp. You might answer that as a mere user this doesn't concern you. But
> you are wrong. Of course, even as a mere user you have advantages with
> free software. You can always look for someone to do the stuff that you
> want (fixing the software, updating it, etc..). Even maybe paying
> someone to add that missing feature you need. If you want to, you can
> even keep the modified software all to yourself (as long as you don't
> distribute it no one has the right to see the changes you made).
>
> Free software has many advantages.
>
> But besides that gratis proprietary software can be fun, too ;) [i play
> around with some VSTi's, too]

Re the Gratis proprietary software, I think a lot of these companies are
a bit worried by the Linux thing and are trying to see how
making their product free can help them with sales.

I like to think Nvidea have seen better sales due to their
drivers for Linux.
They may even realise that they can open the drivers up and still retain
a market share.

Here's hoping
Bob

--