Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Sampler

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 00:04:40 EET

On 12/7/05, Mehmet Okonsar <okonsar@email-addr-hidden> wrote:> What can you say about the usability of the LinuxSampler in its current> state..> Giga import?> Disk streaming?> Writing audio to file?> GUI?>> -------------> Best regards,> Mehmet Okonšar, pianist-composer> www.okonsar.com> mehmet@email-addr-hidden
LinuxSampler is a good program but has recently considered strayingfrom the Open Source model. Please read the License Agreement includedin the CVS version for more info. For these reasons I've ceased usingit. My comments are probably a bit dated these days as I've not triedor even paid attention to the program in a few months.
Giga Import - pretty good and getting better.
Disk streaming - Good, up to a point, but not nearly as good asGigaStudio 3.0. Far fewer voices than GSt3 even when using betterhardware. Voice stealing not so mature so many clicks and pops. Somehard crashes when you really hit the wall with a lot of MIDI events.
Writing audio - No support.
GUI - OK for very simple setups of a few instruments. I've run as manyas 24 instruments on 16 MIDI channels (doing essentially stacking asper GST3) and it works but it can get pretty slow.
Memory management - You didn't ask, but it's not nearly as good asGST3. Expect to use far more memory. Also LS's memory managementdoesn't play fair and makes it very difficult to run other apps whenrunning a lot of instruments in LS. LS is best used on a stand alonemachine. This is similar to GSt3 in real world terms since it'sWindows only and doesn't get along real well with Pro Tools on thesame box.
Hope this helps,Mark