Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 03:57:56 EET

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 03:23:03AM +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
> > I am not familiar with the term "static mic".
>
> The static microphone uses a capacitive membrane; a condensor mic.

Ah, thanks, maybe it's just not a common term in the US.

> > Neither dynamic nor condensor (aka capacitor) mics are inherently
> > fragile at high SPL.
>
> This is not the way I understand it.

Well, there are plenty of condenser mics that can handle 140 dB SPL
without harm or audible distortion. That's extremely loud. Of course it
depends on the mic in question, but even my cheap MXL condenser mics are
rated at 130 dB at 0.5% THD, which is still much louder than a typical
rock concert.

Mechanical fragility if you drop it is another question entirely.
I wouldn't want to drop one of these cheap MXL mics. Not that
they're badly made, but they ARE cheap.

Of course, if in doubt, be cautious. I did once try a small-diaphragm
Shure SM81 mic close up to a loud bass guitar cabinet. It distorted
badly, and we quickly switched to a different mic for fear of damaging
it. I am not sure whether the problem was the mic, the preamp, or
operator error.

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com