Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 04:07:14 EET

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 08:58:46PM -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 03:23:03AM +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> > This is not the way I understand it. The membrane and it's mounting
> > are fragile in such a manner that too high a volume, or in the
> > extreme, beat-boxing, loud drumming or dropping in on the floor, might
> > brake the mic beyond repair (static mics are most often damaged by
> > accidentally being dropped on the floor).
>
> I definitely believe that dropping them would damage them. Not many
> mics besides an SM57 I'd willingly drop and expect to have them
> working ::-)

15 years ago I dropped an SM57 off a mic stand, six feet onto a wooden
porch floor, from which it rolled off the edge into a 20-foot-deep
ravine. Found it buried head-down in the ground, carried it back up,
dusted it off, plugged it in, and it worked (and still does).

The SM58 is similarly legendary. It was Roger Daltrey's preference for a
reason.

Sennheiser 421 is pretty sturdy too!

--
Paul Winkler