Re: [linux-audio-user] The best distro for music creation

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 18:42:55 EET

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 16:08, Josh Lawrence was like:
> On 12/12/05, tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >I would start getting annoyed if
> > I suddenly found I couldn't log in as root after upgrading and was tied
> > to a GNOME desktop with all my essential services turned off!-]
>
> Yes, that is certainly a consideration. You can install fluxbox and
> openbox, but I can attest that if you install flux, you will be left
> to build all of your menus by yourself. As much as I enjoy tinkering
> around with my computer, building the perfect menu is something I
> would rather leave to someone else :)

I had problems installing other favourite parts of my desktop either rox or
fbpanel, I don't remember which. As my meagre contribution to the distro has
basically involved helping to rationalise the menu system around music apps
I'd be sad to see that work wasted. I've got lots of respect for what Ubuntu
do, but I find that DeMuDi gives me more flexibility with audio given the
main priority from the outset.

> > Do the DeMuDi multimedia kernels not work with Ubuntu then?
> > --
>
> I haven't tried, but I can tell you that I just *finally* got my
> Radeon 9200 working with a standard Ubuntu kernel, so it is unlikely
> that I'm going to mess with that anytime soon. I think the best
> option for me is to start bugging the Ubuntu developers to start
> making "official" RT kernels available.

It's probably worth them taking a look at the work Free and others have done
in making reliable multimedia kernels for debian based systems. I'm sure
there's lots of room for mutually beneficial exchanges of ideas and
information here.

--
cheers,
tim hall