Re: [linux-audio-user] The best distro for music creation

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 20:59:28 EET

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 10:08 -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> > Do the DeMuDi multimedia kernels not work with Ubuntu then?
> > --
> I haven't tried, but I can tell you that I just *finally* got my
> Radeon 9200 working with a standard Ubuntu kernel, so it is unlikely
> that I'm going to mess with that anytime soon. I think the best
> option for me is to start bugging the Ubuntu developers to start
> making "official" RT kernels available.

If by "got my Radeon 9200 working" you mean "you got the proprietary ATI
driver to work" then nope, this will never "work" with the RT kernel.
If you're willing to drop your insistence on using prioprietary drivers
and/or buying hardware that requires them, then you're in good shape!

That's one of the many reasons why proprietary drivers are evil and
rude, they tie you to a limited number of kernel version and thus
prevent any progress from happening.

Lee