Re: [linux-audio-user] The best distro for music creation

From: Erik Steffl <steffl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 22:22:28 EET

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 10:08 -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:
>
>>>Do the DeMuDi multimedia kernels not work with Ubuntu then?
>>>--
>>
>>I haven't tried, but I can tell you that I just *finally* got my
>>Radeon 9200 working with a standard Ubuntu kernel, so it is unlikely
>>that I'm going to mess with that anytime soon. I think the best
>>option for me is to start bugging the Ubuntu developers to start
>>making "official" RT kernels available.
>

> If by "got my Radeon 9200 working" you mean "you got the proprietary ATI
> driver to work" then nope, this will never "work" with the RT kernel.
> If you're willing to drop your insistence on using prioprietary drivers
> and/or buying hardware that requires them, then you're in good shape!

   hmmm... are there really any options if you want openGL to work?
Don't both (new) ati and nvidia cards need proprietary drivers for 3D?

> That's one of the many reasons why proprietary drivers are evil and
> rude, they tie you to a limited number of kernel version and thus
> prevent any progress from happening.

   yes and video cards seem to be pretty much the only common category
of hw that needs proprietary drivers (afaik most of the other commonly
used categories of hw have at least some products with open source drivers)

   considering that often the info is not even available it's not even
the case when somebody could just go and write driver, it's basically
not possible. Ati drivers seem to be stuck (3D for cards from last few
years), not sure what nvidia status is but last time I chcecked it was
pretty much the same.

        erik