Re: [linux-audio-user] Proof of the Pudding [New Music]

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 17:15:06 EET

Hi Tim:

  Very ambitious stuff ! I'm currently listening to #3, so my comments
are a bit provisional at this point. Your composition skill is evident,
the piece hangs together well so far. You've obviously made extensive
use of your available materials, but that's also one of my primary
criticisms: like in my own stuff, the soundfonts just don't sound very
good. As I listen to the work I keep thinking how great it would sound
with better sounds. What you've used isn't godawful, it's just that the
composition strikes me as deserving a better realization. I'm wondering
how it might sound if the orchestral sounds were replaced by some
high-end GIG files played through Linuxsampler. Maybe a collaboration
could happen with one of the LS users on this list ?

  The realism that can be achieved with modern sampling technology is
awesome. Some time ago a fellow Csound user posted a piece that used
samples that were so realistic I was sure he had the piece performed and
recorded, but I was told that all sounds were samples.

  Of course, you could also just sell everything you own, take a out a
personal loan at high interest, and hire a real orchestra to read
through your piece once. ;-)

  So far, I give it 10 out of 10 points for your composition, 5 out of
10 for the sounds. On to the next section...

  And thank you for letting us hear more of your music ! :)

Best regards,

dp