Re: [linux-audio-user] Proof of the Pudding [New Music]

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 14:19:45 EET

On Sunday 18 December 2005 15:15, Dave Phillips was like:
> Very ambitious stuff ! I'm currently listening to #3, so my comments
> are a bit provisional at this point. Your composition skill is evident,
> the piece hangs together well so far. You've obviously made extensive
> use of your available materials, but that's also one of my primary
> criticisms: like in my own stuff, the soundfonts just don't sound very
> good. As I listen to the work I keep thinking how great it would sound
> with better sounds. What you've used isn't godawful, it's just that the
> composition strikes me as deserving a better realization. I'm wondering
> how it might sound if the orchestral sounds were replaced by some
> high-end GIG files played through Linuxsampler. Maybe a collaboration
> could happen with one of the LS users on this list ?

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. The soundfonts are not ideal, for one thing
I'm finding I want more control over the various parameters, which may push
me towards realising the next piece using something like Csound.

>   The realism that can be achieved with modern sampling technology is
> awesome. Some time ago a fellow Csound user posted a piece that used
> samples that were so realistic I was sure he had the piece performed and
> recorded, but I was told that all sounds were samples.
>
>   Of course, you could also just sell everything you own, take a out a
> personal loan at high interest, and hire a real orchestra to read
> through your piece once. ;-)

Actually, even everything I own probably won't even cover printing the score
out. ;) Also, the piece would need completely rescoring to make it playable
by a real orchestra, I have taken too many liberties with the sequencing and
voicing.

>   So far, I give it 10 out of 10 points for your composition, 5 out of
> 10 for the sounds. On to the next section...

Thanks for that perspective, that tells me that I've achieved what I set out
to do and the next stage of the learning curve is well mapped out. :)

>   And thank you for letting us hear more of your music ! :)

And thank you for listening and providing such useful feedback.

--
cheers,
tim hall