Re: [linux-audio-user] FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

From: I. I. Ooisen <ii001001@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 05:37:08 EET

On Monday 19 December 2005 23:22, Hans Fugal wrote:

> Nor does it _deserve_ anything else, whether good or evil. It's just
> a bunch of bits. Perhaps you'd like to imply that the authors of
> noteedit don't deserve to be ignored. This is a much more poignant
> point, and it's hard for us developers to accept sometimes, but using
> our software is just as voluntary as our creating it.

i don't care about the authors of noteedit, and i don't even (want to
ever) know who they are.

all i care is that NOTEEDIT is ignored. and what makes me angry is that
the reason is... ignorance of what noteedit actually does.

> When it comes to software and business, the question is never what is
> wrong with the user/customer, but what is wrong with the
> software/product/service.

very much agreed.

> Or maybe it's not really ignored at all. I'd like to see proof that
> it is being ignored, whatever that means.

it *is* ignored. but, hey, if i think better, i realise that any music
notation software is ignored (proportionally) just as much. not even
finale is as popular as it "should" be.

> If you think the
> best hope is to court the previous developers with lavish praise or
> whatever it would take to make them feel that spending time on
> noteedit is worth their time, then by all means go ahead.

as i said, i have no idea who they were and i don't care about
"creators", but only about their "creation". i hate any type of
personality cult, and this certainly includes britney spears, john paul
ii, linus torvalds, and (please don't kill me!) even g. bush jr... ;)

> So I just wanted to reassure you on two points: there is no
> conspiracy to ignore noteedit, and because noteedit is open source it
> will continue to be available and perhaps even continue to improve.

well, i surely hope you're right, because i *love* NOTEEDIT :) -- and
thanks.

> Let's each do something proactive for our favorite project(s) and
> refrain from blaming others for our (in)actions.

why, i was *surely* not blaming! i was just expressing amazement
combined with frustration. as i am not a coder, i thought talking about
noteedit was the right (proactive) thing i could do.