Re: [linux-audio-user] FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

From: I. I. Ooisen <ii001001@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 16:10:31 EET

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 15:53, Brett McCoy wrote:
> I. I. Ooisen wrote:
> >>I doubt it's a KDE issue, either, since Rosegarden (the *other*
> >> score editor) is also a KDE application.
> >
> > rosegarden is not a score editor and will *hopefully* never be.
> > remember each tool has some specific purposes. score editing is not
> > what rosegarden is supposed to do.
>
> You should tell the Rosegarden developers that because they make the
> claim on the website that it is a score editor. :-) Granted,
> Rosegarden is missing some stuff that NoteEdit probably has (multiple
> voices per staff, easy insertion/deletion of measures), but
> Rosegarden has always worked "out of the box" for me, which is why I
> use it, whereas NoteEdit was problematic (see below).
>
> > i hate combos. and perhaps all gnu/linuxists should. :)
> >
> > rosegarden should deal best with the way music sounds, not with the
> > way music looks.
> >
> >>I use Rosegarden extensively for score editing.
> >
> > have you tried noteedit?
>
> Yes, I have tried it. It kept crashing on me, and I had trouble
> getting it to find my MIDI devices (the TSE3 library, I think, was
> the issue, it was segfaulting on startup), and refused to import any
> of my MIDI files.

bad luck, maybe? :) maybe they fixed the bugs in the meantime?
with the latest version, i didn't have any of those problems (i remember
there were some with the way midis were imported, though)

> It doesn't support Jack either, which is crucial
> for the setup I am using for composing and recording.

didn't know that :(
however, my point was not that noteedit was perfect. my point was that
we might want to... care about it, at least...

promoting it may help it improve.