Re: [linux-audio-user] vst: emulate mac intead of win?

From: c <yaqtil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 27 2005 - 22:13:58 EET

> I don't have any knowlege about emulation, but if mac's stuff is based
> on unix, then it might easier for vst in linux?

the closest thing to WINE for mac is GNUStep, which afaik does not run
pure OSX apps of recent vintage, certainly not without a recompile and
removing all sorts of stuff Apple has added in the past decade...so it
would be unsuitable for AU plugins.

what do you mean Mac emulation? if you are talking about PearPC, or
MacOnLinux, you could run an entire VST/AU host inside of that and
shuttle the audio across via wormhole/audioverlan/Jack-AU etc..
similar to what you could do running a windows VST host in VMWare

as for running the plugins directly, NetBSD has already got OSX Binary
emulation going (on powerpc) - i would expect this situation to
improve rapidly and extend to linux as more people begin to use the
Intel version of OSX...