Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: active nearfield monitors

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 20:32:03 EET

> 2005/12/25, Greg <gkjoyce@email-addr-hidden>:
> > Hi list, I'm thinking about getting some decent monitoring for mycomputer.
> > I read good things about Bluesky mediadesk 2.1. $500 orless is what i'm
> > looking at. The Samson ribbon monitors also lookinteresting but
> > bass-lacking. Basically I'm interested in somethingaccurate and flat. I
> > use low end a lot, but I don't like the XTREMEBASS SUBZ you find in most
> > consumer equipment.so what are you using, what for? anything else I should
> > know?

Hi,
   I'm using NHT Pro A-10's. They are not bass heavy at all. I'm told
they are fairly accurate, and I liked them a lot when I first got them
3 years ago, but over time I've decided that they are decidedly
non-musical. I think they'd work better in a pure mastering
environment, albeit a somewhat low end mastering environment. I must
say that I really don't enjoy non-critical listening on them nearly as
much as my stereo which is a Thiel setup.

   The units originally cost something like $1100 or so. I got them on
closeout at Zzounds (IIRC) for about $375, amp included.

   Choose carefully and then enjoy.

- Mark