Re: [linux-audio-user] QJackCtl window position consistency?

From: pirrone <pirrone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 00:23:43 EET

Rick Wright wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:

>>> Reply try #3.....
>>>
>>> Running an up-to-date FC4/GNOME (2.6.10) system.
>>>
>>> Rick
>>>

>> OK, I just reproduced this on my Ubuntu Breezy system, Gnome 2.12.0. If
>> I run qjackctl, open the Messages window, move it, open the Connect
>> window, move that, then close the main window by clicking the X, next
>> time I run it the Messages window has moved back to where it started.
>>
>> Surely this is a WM bug, the app can't be responsible for remembering
>> the position of its windows?
>>
>> Lee
>>

> Rui seemed to indicate that if you close those windows by toggling the
> associated button on the main window (rather than the X as you did)
> that the positions should persist. For me, they all do *except* the
> messages window. That doesn't seem like a WM bug to me.
>
> Try this: open the app, open the message and status windows and move
> them somewhere. Then, simply toggle the buttons and see where they
> reappear.
>
> I just tried this again with the patchbay window (my first test with
> patchbay) and it shows the same non-persistence behavior as the
> messages window.
>
> As far as closing the app with the quit button and then restarting,
> the results are mixed as I described above. It seems that the window
> positions persist (mostly) upon the first restart, but without moving
> any windows, a subsequent quit/restart seems to lose window position
> information. This seems app related too, no?
>
> Rick

Rick et al.,

Been off doing some Web work but glad to see this thread working its way
along. Here's my latest results with your latest scenario:

Open QJC, open Messages and Status, observe they open right where I set
them when I first tested and replied to your posting, move them around,
toggle those two windows with their respective buttons and they persist
right where I just moved/left them. Rinse, repeat... works as expected.

Same with Patchbay.

Then, I closed down QJC with those windows still opened and re-launched
it to find the windows in the same place they were when I closed it.

Then, I closed down QJC with those windows toggled closed and
re-launched it to find that when I toggled the windows back open they
were in the same place I left them when I toggled them off before
closing QJC.

So, Fedora Core 3 fully updated with CCRMA and all core apps, Fluxbox
0.9.13, QJackCtl 0.2.15 results in the expected behavior.

Frank