Re: [linux-audio-user] Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

From: Laura Conrad <lconrad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 22:38:40 EET

>>>>> "th" == tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden> writes:

    th> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 17:26, Lee Revell was like:

>> What soundcard driver are you using? What exactly do you mean by
>> "hardware midi doesn't work".

emu10k1

>> Please, be specific with these bug reports or they are useless.

    th> I have always found it necessary to add
    th> snd-seq-midi
    th> to /etc/modules to get MIDI to work on my DeMuDi systems.

I have that. As far as I know, all the modules are loaded correctly,
and when I say "pmidi -l", I get:

 Port Client name Port name
 62:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
 64:0 EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART) EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
 65:0 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 0
 65:1 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 1
 65:2 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 2
 65:3 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 3

But when I say "pmidi -p 65:0 score.midi", it looks like it's trying
to play, but I don't hear any sound. ("timidity score.midi" plays
fine, and I've used asfxload to load a soundfont.)

It may well be a mixer problem, but I've unmuted and raised the volume
on everything that looks at all plausible.

    th> I find
    th> http://alsa.opensrc.org/aadebug
    th> to be a useful source of diagnostic info (you can always snip the modprobe
    th> conf section). I suspect most posters to this list aren't intending to make
    th> formal bug reports,

I certainly wasn't; I was just trying to qualify "just worked" appropriately.

    th> however, if we make a habit of including this information in a
    th> familiar format it makes it easier for everyone to zero in on
    th> each particular case and may provide useful incidental
    th> information.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@email-addr-hidden , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011