Re: [linux-audio-user] Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 22:14:20 EET

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 21:38, Laura Conrad wrote:

> th> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 17:26, Lee Revell was like:
> >> What soundcard driver are you using? What exactly do you mean by
> >> "hardware midi doesn't work".
>
> emu10k1
>
> >> Please, be specific with these bug reports or they are useless.
>
> th> I have always found it necessary to add
> th> snd-seq-midi
> th> to /etc/modules to get MIDI to work on my DeMuDi systems.
>
> I have that. As far as I know, all the modules are loaded correctly,
> and when I say "pmidi -l", I get:
>
> Port Client name Port name
> 62:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
> 64:0 EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART) EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
> 65:0 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 0
> 65:1 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 1
> 65:2 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 2
> 65:3 Emu10k1 WaveTable Emu10k1 Port 3
>
> But when I say "pmidi -p 65:0 score.midi", it looks like it's trying
> to play, but I don't hear any sound. ("timidity score.midi" plays
> fine, and I've used asfxload to load a soundfont.)
>
> It may well be a mixer problem, but I've unmuted and raised the volume
> on everything that looks at all plausible.

Hi Laura. I may be going down the wrong road here, but it appears you have 2
cards. The one on the MOBO, and the Creative one.

Do you have them both set up to speakers? If so. Are you sure that when you
are getting sound output, thats it's through the Creative card, and not the
onboard one. Please run. cat /proc/asound/cards to see what order your cards
are being loaded, and post it .

Do you have Qjackctl installed (the front end to Jack) ? If not, I'd suggest
installing it, as you can play with a lot of settings. If so. Have a look in
"Settings" and the box marked Interface. Compare the HW # with the card
number for the Creative card from cat /proc/asound/cards. If it is different,
change the HW # to the number of the Creative card, and try the midi again.

I'm clutching at straws here, but did have problems with my USB midi keyboard
being detected as a soundcard, and as the USB starts up early in the boot
process, Alsa was asigning it as the first card. I only work with the one
sound card, an Audigy2 soundblaster, so have no idea on how the 2 card setup
works, but it may be worth looking in Qjackctl, even if it's just to cross
something else off the list.

All the best. Nigel.