Re: [linux-audio-user] RME Multiface - MIDI

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 07 2006 - 17:12:54 EET

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 13:51 +0200, Edwin Peer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Can anyone confirm whether or not the hardware MIDI ports of the RME Multiface
> are supported by ALSA?
>
> According to the alsa-project web site, the Multiface does not support
> [MIDIio], however, that same site also shows that the Digi32 and Digi96 do
> not support [MIDIio], which contradicts what I've read on various mailing
> lists about ALSA's MIDI support for the Digi32/96.

a) the digi32 and digi96 are completely different products from the
multiface, digiface, hdsp, digi9652 and digi9632 models. they use
different hardware, a different design, different everything.

b) the multiface MIDI I/O is supported, using the same code as the
digiface MIDI I/O which i was using last night.

> I'm trying to get the MIDI ports of a Multiface working (to get Rosegarden
> talking to an external keyboard), but so far have had no success. Any ideas?
> Pointers to relevant documentation?

it should just work. make sure you have the snd-seq module loaded, then
fire up qjackctl and you should see the port(s) for the Multiface. off
the top of my head i don't recall if it has 1 or two, the digiface has
two and they are both there. you can also use aconnect -l to see the
available ports from the standpoint of the ALSA sequencer.

--p