Re: [linux-audio-user] Next question re midi

From: M P Smoak <smoak@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 04:08:12 EET

On Thursday 12 January 2006 20:36, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 20:32 -0500, M P Smoak wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 January 2006 16:11, Lee Revell wrote:
      <snip>
> > > That's not how ALSA MIDI works, you can't just cat a .mid
> > > file to a device node. Use aplaymidi.
> > >
> > > Lee
> >
> > Speaking of aplaymidi, how do I pause a playback
>
> Ctrl-Z

How do I restart it?

> > , back it up
>
> You can't do that

I guess I can't forward either?
> > or
> > just stop it
>
> Ctrl-C

Elegant in it's simplicity.

> > , once it's playing. man aplaymidi tells me nothing.
>
> You need to get a sequencer if you want full featured MIDI
> playback, aplaymidi is just a simple utility, a toy basically.
>
> Lee

You mean to say that to play back a midi filed with pause, back
up or forward, I need to use a sequencer?

You're saying that there is no midi player in linux that allows
the simple controls of a tape player?

I'm running rh9/planet ccrma, I can't find a player there. I
figured that's because I'm a slowhead. Is there none?

Is there a midi file player for the 2.6 kernal, fc?? kernel?

If there's nothing, I'm starting to think linux is real weak
on midi playback.

By the way, could you comment on my recent question on tuning
a midi keyboard?