Re: [linux-audio-user] virmidi and 2.6.14 (Demudi)

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 18:29:06 EET

Clemens Ladisch wrote:

>The virtual MIDI ports convert between old programs using /dev/midi*
>and new programs using ALSA sequencer ports. They do not connect
>ALSA sequencer programs together; use the through ports for this.

I'm not sure I understand that. I've been connecting ALSA sequencer
clients with the virmidi ports for years. I can send a screenshot of my
MIDI connections in QJackCtl, with virmidi ports connected to QSynth,
Jack Rack, the Emu10k1 synth, etc. But I may misunderstand what you're
telling me.

>I think you can achieve what you want by connecting a virmidi port and a
>through port together.

Been there, tried that, got no joy. :(

Btw, my results with this problem have been verified by another user of
Demudi and the 2.6.14 kernel. Should I be looking at anything else in
the system that might cause the trouble ? I'm terribly ignorant about
the 2.6 kernels...

Well, I can use the MIDI Thru for new work in Demudi.

Best,

dp