Re: [linux-audio-user] Creating tuition videos

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 21 2006 - 18:22:46 EET

Michael T D Nelson wrote:

> I've been thinking about writing and producing some instrumental tuition
> videos. I have a mini-DV firewire camcorder available.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew of any (GPL) software I can run on Linux
> to create these with.

For the video portion, Kino and Cinelerra are your best bets for
handling DV. You can use Kino for dumping stuff from the camera over
firewire and basic editing, and you can use Cinelerra for the
post-production (and more advanced editing features).

There are lots of audio choices, but your biggest problem is going to be
with synchronization. I think both video apps can synch with SMPTE, so
you would need to figure out a way to use this with, say, Ardour or
Rosegarden. I haven't kept up on Kino development lately, maybe it has
more advanced synch options now (it would be nice if they included Jack
synch!)

-- Brett

--
Brett McCoy: Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.alhazred.com