Re: [linux-audio-user] Creating tuition videos

From: Michael T D Nelson <m_nels@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 21 2006 - 21:03:38 EET

Brett McCoy wrote:
> Michael T D Nelson wrote:
>
>> I've been thinking about writing and producing some instrumental
>> tuition videos. I have a mini-DV firewire camcorder available.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone knew of any (GPL) software I can run on
>> Linux to create these with.
>

> For the video portion, Kino and Cinelerra are your best bets for
> handling DV.

Thanks. I'll check these out properly soon.

> There are lots of audio choices, but your biggest problem is going to be
> with synchronization. I think both video apps can synch with SMPTE, so
> you would need to figure out a way to use this with, say, Ardour or
> Rosegarden. I haven't kept up on Kino development lately, maybe it has
> more advanced synch options now (it would be nice if they included Jack
> synch!)

Yep, that's one of my major concerns. It would be awesome if *any* of
these programs were to include JACK synchronisation. In fact, for me to
do proper *multimedia* production on Linux, I would imagine it to be
essential in the long term.

The other concern is the process of creating computer-generated video
footage of music notation. Does anyone know of a way to do this, short
of creating lots of images of notation (with, say, different notes or
measures highlighted), and editing them into an animation manually?

I guess I could brush up my OpenGL and C and have a go at writing a
utility myself that converts MIDI into video notation...

Imagine a more serious version of that Nintendo GameCube Donkey Konga
bongo game... with proper notation, multiple instruments... Maybe you
could even plug in a MIDI instrument & it could grade your
performance... It could be an awesome music tuition tool!

I'm having far too many ambitious ideas today!

Thanks,
Michael