Re: [linux-audio-user] RME Basics

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 00:23:33 EET

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 17:10 -0500, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> So I just pulled out my old sound card and installed a brand new RME
> HDSP 96/32 - the one that can do 192 KHz. Now I am looking for basic
> info on the mixer in it, and the basics of how to get it up and
> running. I ran alsaconf, got the interface in, but apparently the mixer
> is a bit different, due to the DSP mixer onboard most likely I would
> assume, and unfortunatly alsamixer is leaving me a bit behind on this
> compared to my older ICE1712 based card. So yea looking for basics of
> how to use the mixer with it I suppose. GUI based applications wouldnt
> hurt I suppose, but console based examples is also good.

you need hdspmixer, which is in one of the alsapackages. alsamixer and
other tools have no way to handle the idea of a matrix mixer. otoh,
hdspmixer is very complex - be sure to read docs on the RME site, since
it works identically (same bitmaps etc) as the win/mac version.

i am not sure you can get 192KHz from the existing ALSA driver.

--p