Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux/Windows/Mac MIDI over LAN?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 16:25:04 EET

On 1/20/06, Bengt Gördén <bengan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 12:24:20PM +0000, Martin Habets wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 07:09:46PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > Is there any solution for removing MIDI cables and doing MIDI over
> > > Ethernet for all three platforms?
> >
> > I think midi.osc will do this. Have been unable to download it tho.
> > Supposedly it's somewhere inside http://www.alphalink.com.au/~rd/
> > but that's a dead end... Rohan?
>
> I had no problem download it.
>
> http://www.alphalink.com.au/~rd/sw/osc.html
>
> regards,

Martin & Bengt,
   This looks interesting, but like Adrian I think I need a HOWTO to
grasp it a bit better.

   Also, I googled for "Win XP" MIDI OSC. Unfortunately Osc is such a
common term that I'm not finding usefull stuff yet. I did find this
page:

http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/

but it seems that what I was looking for isn't obvious. (To me...)

   I am finding some commercial products similar to what I'm looking for:

http://www.nerds.de/en/ipmidi.html
http://www.coyoterd.com/netmidi.htm

   Some shareware discussed on Northern Sound:

http://www.ebertronic.com/downloadMidiViaNet.htm

   Many years ago I purchased this one for Windows only, at the time,
but it talks to Macs now:

http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

   I'd love to see a Linux solution that talked to this software on
Mac's and PC's. That would be very cool.

   Anyway, I'm still looking for Nirvana.

Cheers,
Mark