Re: [linux-audio-user] WINE + audio experiences ?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 16:44:26 EET

On 1/21/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> NI's Battery runs fine for me under Wine from CVS. I *think* Geoff
> Beasley uses Kontakt under some version of Wine, but it may be the
> older 20040505//fst sort of solution. I'm not sure. This last 2 weeks
> we've been working on trying to get Reaktor to run under CVS Wine. For
> most of us it won't install or won't even start.

Hi Dave,
   A bit of an update on the NI Reaktor status. Apparently one person
says the reason it's not running is that as of Reaktor 5.0 NI installs
some sort of kernel level driver. wine does not support any form of
driver loading, apparently, and hence while other NI apps currently
run under Wine, their flagship Reaktor does not.

   I think this might bode ill for the future. Most likely this was
added to Reaktor for performance reasons. Should NI do more of this
we'll not have much future in Wine I fear until the Wine developers
attack this problem. (I'm not holding my breath...)

Cheers,
Mark