Re: [linux-audio-user] virmidi and 2.6.14 (Demudi)

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 16:59:53 EET

Hallo,
Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:

> First, thanks to everyone who has joined in on this topic. I'm not at
> my desktop machine now, but I'll try Robin's symlink dodge when I get
> home. Meanwhile, here's a link to a page that illustrates exactly what
> it is that I want to achieve on Demudi. Hopefully it clarifies precisely
> what I want to do:
>
> http://linux-sound.org/virmidi-demo.html

Okay, for this symlinks won't help, if your dosemu actually is writing
to /dev/snd/midiC1D0, as symlinks will just create an alias to that
device file.

You could try to "play" a midi file to /dev/snd/midiC1D0 with cat:

$ cat file.mid > /dev/snd/midiC1D0

while Qsynth is connected as shown in the screenshot. Again this
*should* work, but of course may not. *If* it works, then snd-virmidi
and the ALSA sequencer work as they should and I believe, there is
nothing broken in the Demudi kernel then.

Ciao