Re: Ladspa GUIs (Was Re: [linux-audio-user] Acid type program

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 14:18:31 EET

On Sunday 29 January 2006 07:27, Rob was like:
> On Sun January 29 2006 02:05, timg@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > ...or perhaps it the feeling that I'm really tweeking a knob
> > or two....
>
> See, I have knobs on my MIDI controller.... none of which can be
> used to tweak the fake knobs on VST's or VSTi's as far as I
> know, despite their use of standard MIDI events. I love
> tweaking knobs and sliders and stuff.... just not with my mouse,
> especially since then you can only tweak one at a time.

Using a mouse for all this really isn't good enough for serious work. Hardware
knobs, sliders, push buttons, drum pads and MIDI keyboards are all fairly
standard kit these days. These ideally would be dealt with on an OS level
rather than having different implementations for every application. This
surely is the Linux way of doing things?

> I'd love for a paradigm like Ardour's to get standardized
> somehow.... where a whole bunch of keys become essentially mouse
> buttons so you can quickly adjust "sliders" and "knobs", or gang
> them if that's what you want to do.

Oh good, I'm glad someone has mentioned Ardour in this conversation, and what
about the way Hydrogen does it? One is GTK and the other QT based.
Standardise this approach for all apps and provide a straightforward way of
mapping controllers to hardware sliders/keys. Surely this is the way to go.

Eye candy MUST be functional (otherwise it causes truth decay ;) The last
thing I'd want to see is a whole load of varied interfaces where the visual
impression overrides the functionality.

> Interfaces where the "knobs" and "sliders" are just eye candy,
> though.... where you can't resize or maximize the window, where
> the standard keyboard shortcuts (e.g. tab, space for button
> presses, etc.) don't exist, where even the fonts are bitmapped
> so you can't blow them up by changing your system fonts....
> belong back in 1993 when they were an improvement over the
> status quo, or at least no worse.

Aye.

--
cheers,