[linux-audio-user] JACK/ALSA Problems

From: <laulist@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 31 2006 - 02:35:15 EET

Hi All:

I'm an analog muso (30 years+) and a Linux user (5 years+), but am totally
new to doing audio on Linux (or any other OS).

I've got heaps of stuff installed on a laptop running Fedora 3 (ALSA,
JACK, Hydrogen, Muse, Rosegarden, SooperLooper,
CheeseTracker and a lot more) but unfortunately most of it doesn't work
yet. This is almost certainly because I don't
understand ALSA and/or JACK properly. Also MIDI, I'm really in the dark as
to what it is, what it does and how it works.

I know sound works because I can play .wav samples in XMMS. Without
starting JACK, Hydrogen runs and plays demos just
fine as well.

But as for Muse, Rosegarden, SooperLooper and CheeseTracker, no go. With
SooperLooper and CheeseTracker, I can load
samples/instruments and "play" patterns and everything appears to work (I
can see things such as level meters etc moving
as expected) except no sound ever emanates from the speakers.

For example, SooperLooper. First I create a virtual soundcard (hw:1) and
start JACK with 'jackd -d alsa'. JACK starts
ands runs fine. Then I start SooperLooper, load a sample (.wav file) and
off it goes apparently just fine but without
sound.

I have tried to connect SooperLooper and CheeseTracker (both on port 128)
to JACK as follows but to no effect. The examples below show what I did
for SooperLooper

What am I doing wrong? I know the answer will probably be simple!

TIA, Mick

[michael@email-addr-hidden ~]$ aconnect -o
client 72: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-0' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-0 '
client 73: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-1' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-1 '
client 74: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-2' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-2 '
client 75: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-3' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-3 '
client 128: 'sooperlooper' [type=user]
     0 'sooperlooper '

[michael@email-addr-hidden ~]$ aconnect 72:0 128:

[michael@email-addr-hidden ~]$ aconnect -lo
client 72: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-0' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-0 '
         Connecting To: 128:0
client 73: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-1' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-1 '
client 74: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-2' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-2 '
client 75: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-3' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-3 '
client 128: 'sooperlooper' [type=user]
     0 'sooperlooper '
         Connected From: 72:0

[michael@email-addr-hidden ~]$ aconnect -x

[michael@email-addr-hidden ~]$ aconnect 128: 72:0

[michael@email-addr-hidden ~]$ aconnect -lo
client 72: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-0' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-0 '
         Connected From: 128:0
client 73: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-1' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-1 '
client 74: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-2' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-2 '
client 75: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-3' [type=kernel]
     0 'VirMIDI 1-3 '
client 128: 'sooperlooper' [type=user]
     0 'sooperlooper '
         Connecting To: 72:0