Re: [linux-audio-user] JACK/ALSA Problems

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 31 2006 - 02:52:09 EET

On 1/30/06, laulist@email-addr-hidden <laulist@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I'm an analog muso (30 years+) and a Linux user (5 years+), but am totally
> new to doing audio on Linux (or any other OS).
>
> I've got heaps of stuff installed on a laptop running Fedora 3 (ALSA,
> JACK, Hydrogen, Muse, Rosegarden, SooperLooper,
> CheeseTracker and a lot more) but unfortunately most of it doesn't work
> yet. This is almost certainly because I don't
> understand ALSA and/or JACK properly. Also MIDI, I'm really in the dark as
> to what it is, what it does and how it works.
>
> I know sound works because I can play .wav samples in XMMS. Without
> starting JACK, Hydrogen runs and plays demos just
> fine as well.
>
> But as for Muse, Rosegarden, SooperLooper and CheeseTracker, no go. With
> SooperLooper and CheeseTracker, I can load
> samples/instruments and "play" patterns and everything appears to work (I
> can see things such as level meters etc moving
> as expected) except no sound ever emanates from the speakers.
>
> For example, SooperLooper. First I create a virtual soundcard (hw:1) and
> start JACK with 'jackd -d alsa'. JACK starts
> ands runs fine. Then I start SooperLooper, load a sample (.wav file) and
> off it goes apparently just fine but without
> sound.
>
> I have tried to connect SooperLooper and CheeseTracker (both on port 128)
> to JACK as follows but to no effect. The examples below show what I did
> for SooperLooper
>
> What am I doing wrong? I know the answer will probably be simple!
>
> TIA, Mick

Hi Mick,
   You appear to be running Jack in a terminal? Give qjackctl a try.
It will give you a visual patch bay where you can hook the app up to
the sound card. I suspect that the audio output of your app is not
driving the sound card.

   In a terminal I think you could do some jack command, like
jack_lsp, to see what's hooked to what, but QJC is much more useful.

Good luck,
Mark

- Mark