Re: [linux-audio-user] Some various questions about system configuration..

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 17:52:08 EET

On Thursday 02 February 2006 15:23, Dana Olson was like:
> On 2/2/06, tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 February 2006 21:31, Dana Olson was like:
> > > Well, last I heard from Free (a couple days ago), he was pretty much
> > > the only one working on DeMuDi, and he had been working on uploading
> > > his DeMuDi packages back into Debian and coordinating with the other
> > > package maintainers. If the project really was alive and well, and the
> > > future really was certain, I don't understand the moves. It doesn't
> > > make sense to me that it is just coincidental timing.
> >
> > It has always been the intention (and practice) to cycle packages back
> > into the main Debian repositories. Ubuntu does this too, does it not?
> > Yes, the timing of Junichi Uekawa's support to do this was serendipitous,
> > to say the least. Plan B for DeMuDi has always been to re-integrate into
> > Debian if it became necessary, or in fact, ideally if multimedia packages
> > become possible to run on a vanilla install. This latter option would
> > count as a major success.
> >
> > It is largely because of the work of the DeMuDi project over the last
> > four years that Debian is now seen as a serious platform for multimedia
> > activities. A large amount of that credit has to go to Free, for sure. I
> > don't see anyone bottling out, just a change in infrastructure to cope
> > with the lack of immediate funding.
> >
> > DeMuDi needs a big Granny Weatherwax style sign up saying "I ATEN'T
> > DEAD!" --
> > cheers,
> >
> > tim hall
> > http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim
>
> Firstly, Terry Pratchett rules. Secondly, I am aware of the volunteer
> status of DeMuDi. but Free has done all of DeMuDi himself to date.
>
> "Since April 2003 I've done everything by my own, with the financial
> support of the
> former sponsor. If Canonical could sponsor me or someone else to keep
> working part time on it, that would be great, and I think both parties
> would benefit this (see below)."

This is absolutely true.

However DeMuDi began around 2001and owes a lot to the early work of people
like Nicola Bernardini Marco Trevisani, Gunter Geiger, Dave Phillips, Paul
Davis, Francois Dechelle, Georg Greve, Stanko Juzbasic, Giampiero Salvi,
Maurizio Umberto Puxeddu, Gabriel Maldonado and Andrea Glorioso.It began as
an unofficial Debian-based binary distribution of sound/music Free Software
and has now attained official Custom Debian Distribution status. I like to
make sure these people are remembered for their work too. There have been
contributions from other developers and particularly volunteer beta-testers
and front-line mailing list helpers that have helped keep AGNULA/DeMuDi busy.

> In the end, all I meant was that one of the reasons I am not using
> DeMuDi is that its future is indeed uncertain. Lots of volunteer
> projects end up dying. SourceForge is a ghost town of could've-beens.

Too many people use DeMuDi for this to happen.

> As I said to Free, I don't want to see DeMuDi die or fall behind -
> hence why I contacted Canonical about sponsoring him. I respect him
> and his work. I just don't prefer to use it.
>
> I believe in making other distros better too. The other reasons I
> chose Ubuntu are all preference.

Understood. :)

> BTW, Warty sucked balls. I tried it and went back to Debian. Hoary had
> everything I needed and more, so I stuck with it. And Breezy is even
> better. I am hoping Dapper shatters my expectations, considering
> they're pitting it against Vista and want it to be very extra
> polished. I guess time will tell.
>
> Peace.
> Dana

Peace, absolutely. I look forward to being able to provide mutual assistance
in the future. Now we're getting warmer. !:D