Re: [linux-audio-user] Some various questions about system configuration..

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 03 2006 - 00:14:14 EET

On Thursday 02 February 2006 13:11, Lee Revell wrote:
>On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 12:51 -0500, Brett McCoy wrote:
>> >
>> > If they want to pit it against Vista they'd better get off their
>> > butts and get streaming video in Firefox working. 75% of the time
>> > I just get that damn "Plugin Finder" and then when I click it of
>> > course "No suitable plugin could be found".
>> >
>> > Desktop Linux is a joke if stuff like this still won't work...
>>
>> mplayer-mozilla plugin seems to work for most things (even
>> Quicktime).
>
>Hmm, I used to have that, but somehow it got uninstalled.

It gets 'uninstalled' everytime you upgrade firefox or mozilla because
the friggin installer insists on a clean tree, so it deletes the old
one including all your plugins.

I finally said to hell with that crap and made a seperate plugins dir
adjacent the the mozilla/firefox installs, and then when each new
version is installed, do an lndir from the now clean plugins dir to the
seperate one thats still there. It sure saves a lot of memory
searching in foggy memory and the pissin & moanin that goes with it
around here.

If the mozilla/firefox folks knew just how big a pita that was, they'd
recommend doing something like I did. Or figger out a way to save your
plugins dir.

>Still, this is not good - what the heck is the point of the "Plugin
>Finder" in firefox then, if it isn't even aware of the package
> manager? To install random binary codecs Windows style? I've seen it
> hundreds of times and never once had it do anything useful.

Me neither, its usless to linux users. But, amazingly firefox did
actually go get, install and rerun itself a couple of days ago for some
sort of an update. In nearly 2 years of having that automatic upgrade,
thats a first!

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: