Re: [linux-audio-user] gate from swh-plugins

From: Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 06 2006 - 07:15:48 EET

On 2/5/06, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am now using the Gate plugin from swh-plugins as a noise gate. Thanks, Sampo
> Savolinen!
>
> However, there is one thing I don't understand in its behaviour, and I'd like
> to chnge that of possible. When immediately after a useful (and loud) sound a
> noise period (below the threshold) starts, the noise is heard for an audible
> fraction of a second before the gate closes.I have lowered Delay and Hold,
> but this does not seem to help. Is there a way to make it destroy such noise
> "tails" after sounds?

This gate plugin is modeled after an analog gate. With analog gates it
is impossible to set your delay or attack to absolute 0. Since this
plugin is modeled to emulate this type of gate, it also does not let
you go down to absolute 0. Try using the Simple Expander from the CMT
plugins, or if you must, the Hard Gate, also from the CMT plugins.
(The Hard Gate is very harsh and ugly sounding)

-Reuben