Re: [linux-audio-user] More music

From: Steve D <groups@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 22:04:19 EET

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:32:42AM -0800, R Parker wrote:
> Punchins aren't illegal and anyone can engineer for
> you in a non-destructive DAW like Ardour. If you don't
> tell anyone about the punchin then you can move on to
> composing and producing another song which makes
> everybody happy. :)
>
> ron
--- ---

I guess my (irrational) fear is that a punchin/punchout will somehow be
obvious to the listener--that either there will be an abrupt momentary
change in ambience, an abrupt cutting off of pre-punchin sound as the
punchin occurs, or I'll be in a slightly different mood and the volume
or performance won't match, etc. I have been able (I think) to hear
punchins in old analog tape recordings, of Van Cliburn playing the
Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninov piano concertos, of an obscure (but good)
eastern European orchestra playing Stravinsky's Firebird (there were
*lots* of punchins, some of them very obvious and awkward, in that
recording), and so my listening experience has made me wary of punchins.
But, like I mentioned, I'm sure it is an irrational fear. ;-)

During this recording (for Arabesque 1), I made a strong note to myself
after recording take after take (dozens of them) to learn about and
begin to try punchin techniques. I'm especially interested to learn
whether Ardour automatically creates (or can be configured to do so)
brief overlapping fadeouts/fadeins at punch points. I'm sure that this
information is in the (as yet not fully read) Ardour online manual. ;-)
In fact, I think I'll check that out right now--

-sd

History from a 10 year old: "Beethoven wrote music even though
he was deaf. He was so deaf that he wrote loud music and became
the father of rock and roll. He took long walks in the forest
even when everyone was calling for him.  Beethoven expired in
1827 and later died for this."