Re: [linux-audio-user] Punchin/Punchout (was: More music)

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 00:35:17 EET

On 2/13/06, Steve D <groups@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Steve D mentioned an "irrational" fear of the punchin/punchout recording
> technique. Ron Parker and Cesare Marilungo commented--
>
> Ron Parker wrote:
> > We definitely hear "bad" punches. It's something you get good at; play
> > along with yourself, perform the puch-in and punch-out then stop
> > playing. Afterwards trim the region in and outs so the punch can't be
> > heard.
>
> Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> > There's another, way better, method. Just route your keyboard output
> > to a midi sequencer (muse or rosegarden) and then to the sampler. In
> > this way you can do punch-ins in midi, delete notes seamlessly merge
> > two or more performances and more.
>
> Thank you very much, Ron and Cesare. I'll try both approaches and
> hopefully I'll learn how to exploit both the digital-audio and MIDI
> punchin/punchout recording techniques.
>
> Regarding the digital audio (rather than MIDI) approach, I'll try to
> space the punchin and punchout points a little farther apart than I
> normally would, to give me a greater choice *after* re-recording the
> section as to exactly where I want the actual punch to occur. (I hadn't
> thought of that, obvious though it may now seem. ;-)
>
> Thank you,
>
> -sd

Steve,
   While not appropriate for all types of music a few times I've dealt
with bad punch-in problem by throwing a drum beat or some random sound
in where I needed it. I do stuff where random bits of percussion or
sound effects will not be totally out of place. This wouldn't be to
likely to work in the middle of a solo piano piece though.

   I've also edited the digital audio sample by sample to sort of
cover up problems right at the boundary when it wasn't appropriate to
do a proper fade out / fade in.

Good luck,
Mark