Re: [linux-audio-user] ingo molnar patch on mandriva's kernel

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 15 2006 - 23:55:53 EET

On 15 February 2006 at 20:40, "emanuele ..:: www.rumoridifondo.com ::.." <emanuele@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> yes, mandriva has it's realtime kernel (the kernel multimedia) but i
> still have xrun when i play soft-synth with a big chord and fast arpeggios.

I haven't played a soft-synth. I've used ardour and plug-ins a lot
though, and without xruns. At times I've played 70 tracks of 44.1kHz
sounds. When I do that my disk has trouble keeping up, but
eventually it does keep up and it seems to work. This is certainly
not recommended, and doing actual work like this probably will cause
the application to misbehave in some way. It's just an illustration
that the Mandrake multimedia kernel is doing its job right.

> so i think that mandriva's kernel is not really patched with -rt. but
> maybe it's just an error on configuring my computer or something wrong
> with some hardware.

I'm running Mandrake 10.1's 2.6.7 mm kernel. I
/etc/modprobe.preload my kernel with realcap. My
/etc/modprobe.conf contains this:

remove realcap /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove realcap
install realcap /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install realcap gid=81

Group ID 81 is "audio". My user ID is a member of the "audio" group,
but that's not my primary group.

I start jackd like this:

/usr/bin/jackd -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 -p 2048 -n 2

2048 is pretty big, and I don't always do that. Sometimes I start it
down at 128 or 256. I don't get very good results below that.

Best of luck....

--
Kevin