Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: asoundrc and aplay

From: conrad berhörster <conrad.berhoerster@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 02:51:09 EET

Hello Arnold,
Am Donnerstag 16 Februar 2006 22:14 schrieb Arnold Krille:
> 2006/2/16, conrad berhörster <conrad.berhoerster@email-addr-hidden>:
> > well, i have 2 soundcards and want to capture from both at the same time
> > with
> > jack. i don't need sample sync (or such bad things ;=) ) only need the
> > signal, each channel individual but into one app, i have written.
>
> Two explain Pauls Jedi-magic:
Thanks very much, Paul was a little bit to "short" ;=)

> If you use jack, you want sample-sync. If you don't want sample-sync
> and just want to record two independent streams into your software
> (assuming you don't want to use it for music[*]) you just have to open
> both sounddevices the alsa way and process according to the
> alsa-interface.
No, this is not quite right for me. sample-sync is not the only reason, why
someone uses jack. i use it i my app, because
- easy programming interface , better than alsa.
- take some other apps and get/set data from/to them

i need that inputs not in a harddisk recording / pro audio way. all i need is
getting the signal into the app, use some effects and put them out again. no
sample sync, no need for "realtime". all inputs are independed.
Than i have read http://alsa.opensrc.org/TwoCardsAsOne.
is this page wrong!
i thought, one big advantage of jack is, to handle more than one card.

> [*] If you want to do music with it, you want sample-sync...
>
> Enough things have been said about way two soundcards without syncing
> can't be used as one multichannel device, so I won't repeat it here.
yes, i know. i have read them too. maybe you can explain, what you mean
exactly with the notion "multichannel device". Is it just a couple of IOs,
without sync, or are the requirements for pro audios (with sync).

if all this stuff isn't possible, do you have any idea to fix the problem.

thanks c~