Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Amp simulators and stuff. was: Guitar amp

From: Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 00:06:20 EET

On 2/18/06, Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Dana Olson wrote:

> >>I've heard good things about amps from Line6. They come in a lot of
> >>different sizes, come wwith different feature packages, and were
> >>medium-priced, IIRC (been a while since I looked at amp; not much a
> >>guitarist myself).
> >>
> >>I never really listened to them, but I got the suggestion from asking
> >>a similar question.
> >>

> >>--
> >>Ross Vandegrift
> >>ross@email-addr-hidden
> >>
> >>"The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who
> >>make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians
> >>have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine
> >>man in the bonds of Hell."
> >> --St. Augustine, De Genesi ad Litteram, Book II, xviii, 37
> >>

> >I can't vouch for their amps, but I have a Line6 POD 2.0, and it is by
> >far the best investment I've made for my guitar sound, period. My main
> >focus is on recording guitar direct though, and this thing simulates
> >many different amps, speaker combos, and some basic effects. You could
> >use it in front of an amp as well, and get a wide variety of tones out
> >of it.
> >
> >I sold my old Yamaha amp so I could afford it last year. I do almost
> >miss having an amp, but with headphones, this thing rocks.
> >
> >Anyhow, I imagine their amps would sound great too, with a variety of
> >different sounds in them. I'll probably be trying them out when I'm
> >ready to get a new amp again. But I liked Fender's Princeton Chorus
> >the best out of all the amps I've tried thus far.
> >
> >Dana
> >

> Check out the Zoom G2.1u, also.
> It's cheap (130 euro, should be around 130-150$ in US) and it can be
> connected directly to a pc via usb. The resolution through usb is
> 16/44.1 but the converters are 24/96.
>
> http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/index.php
>
> I know it's not the real thing. But if you haven't enough space you
> wouldn't be able to properly capture a real amp anyway.
>
> I'm satisfied enough of its sound that I'm using it in my recordings.
>
> I used it on this track:
>
> http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/download/music/Hope.ogg
>
> c.
> --
> www.cesaremarilungo.com

Wow, what a nice song! I generally don't listen to much other than
metal and industrial, but this song is very nice. There's something I
can't describe about it...

Anyhow, that Zoom you are using sounds nice. I'm actually surprised,
because a couple other Zoom things I've tried really sucked.
Especially the 505II, that thing is noisier than an interstate.

So the Zoom you have, it works as a usb-audio device in Linux? What
else did you use to record that track, as far as the software and
other instruments are concerned??

Dana