[linux-audio-user] System upgrade recommendations

From: Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 00:28:29 EET

Hello,

I am wondering what I should do in order to get a bit more performance
out of my system for using JACK and friends.

I currently have two systems, and they are relatively similar. My main
system is a Dell Optiplex, can't remember the model exactly right now,
but it is:

Intel P4 2.8GHz
512MB DDR
onboard video
Creative Audigy2 ZS

The other system is:

AMD AthlonXP 2800+
512MB DDR
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB
Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1

I was considering buying a 2x512MB DDR kit for the P4, and dropping
the old 512MB from there into the Athlon system.

The RAM I am thinking about is:
http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=003982&cid=RAM.178

Would it be better to save up and invest in a CPU/mobo upgrade? Or
will a different sound card give me a performance boost (not sure how
it would be possible, but..)? Or maybe I should find a PCI video card
(NVIDIA or maybe there is something better?) to put into the Dell, if
onboard video causes issues? Or is RAM a pretty good upgrade at this
point?

I ask because I am new at using software (other than Audacity) for
multitrack recording, and when I get more than a couple apps up and
running, my system gets sluggish, and I can't even load the Titanic
SoundFont in Qsynth because it crashes (I presume due to lack of
memory).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dana