Re: [linux-audio-user] Athlon 64-X2 - slightly different question than the FAQ

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 11:15:45 EET

On 20 February 2006 at 4:07, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 00:49 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > One person commented that with their 64-X2
> > machine, that a larger period size, 256 versus 128, seems better.
> > This is generally true for avoiding xruns.
> >
> > I'm wondering, is an even larger period size 1K or 2K going
> > to make a 64-X2 machine usable.
>
> What exactly is the problem that you're having?

Indecision. I'm wondering if it's worth it to tear my Celeron
system out of my studio and install my 64-X2 system in its place.
I haven't actually used the X2 box for anything but sound file
editing yet. I've been predicting problems based on some of the
postings I've seen about those Athlon 64-X2 CPUs. I can always
put the Celeron system back into music service if the X2 doesn't
work. But, I'd rather avoid that whole ordeal, if the reality is
that it just won't work yet.

Thanks....

--
Kevin