Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Bainstorming! Drawing in non-musician developers

From: Dave Griffiths <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 14:28:23 EET

> Kew-ew-ew-ewlllll...
>
> Frank, but you've got to admit computer hardware events can be mapped to
> other things than just MIDI notes, such as algorithms... yeh?
>
> What I'm saying is it would be nice to find attract a lot of passionate
> violin builders so passionate violinists don't have to learn so much
> woodwork. A little is fine, but...

Personally I ended up making programming the way I make music, and
therefore reduced the gap between the two, but I still spend hours writing
the tools for writing this code, and the things the code drives, but this
is just because I am stubborn and won't use much prewritten code (jack and
liblo basically :)

But to go back to your analogy, I think computer programming is a little
different to woodwork, in that the machine can be seen as a medium or a
tool.

So for computer musicians who think about it in this way, learning to
write code will make them better *computer* musicians.

I think a nice compromise is PD (and I'm sure frank will agree ;) - as a
way to program in a form that many artistic people are comfortable with.

cheers,

dave