Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Bainstorming! Drawing in non-musician developers

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 21:56:32 EET

Hallo,
Dave Griffiths hat gesagt: // Dave Griffiths wrote:

> > Frank, but you've got to admit computer hardware events can be mapped to
> > other things than just MIDI notes, such as algorithms... yeh?

Yes, that's where the interesting stuff starts.

> But to go back to your analogy, I think computer programming is a little
> different to woodwork, in that the machine can be seen as a medium or a
> tool.
>
> So for computer musicians who think about it in this way, learning to
> write code will make them better *computer* musicians.
>
> I think a nice compromise is PD (and I'm sure frank will agree ;) - as a
> way to program in a form that many artistic people are comfortable with.

As you know, I'm not live-coding myself, although I think, it's a
fascinating way of expression. But in the end, it doesn't matter too
much, if you code live or if you just code at home and then do some
non-coding stuff on stage or even play back a tape (or today press the
space bar, then go to the beer bar.)

The important thing in *computer music* to me is related to what you
said about seeing the computing machine as a medium of expression. It
is not just an electronic instrument (one could imagine computers
without any electronic parts, just pen and paper), it's music done by
*computing* something, by formalizing ideas and approaches into some
kind of rule system. In this regard, computer music isn't too far away
from traditional music, which also has a developed lot of rules of
expression in all cultures.

But I'm getting too philosophical. Did I mention, that everyone should
read "Alan Turing: The Enigma" by Andrew Hodges rather than "The
Computer Music Tutorial"? ;)

Ciao