Re: [linux-audio-user] bcf2000 for Ardour control

From: Rob Fell <rob@email-addr-hidden-egg.org>
Date: Wed Feb 22 2006 - 21:22:40 EET

R Parker wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Ron

> I'm considering a BCF2000 for Control Room B where we
> do mastering, MIDI sequencing, region editing
> (Ardour), etc. This appears to be the unit Jesse has
> made functional for controling Ardour. Is that true?

IIUC, this is so.

> If someone could share their opinions and experiences
> with usability in Linux and as a control surface for
> Ardour that would be helpful.

I have the BCR2000 which has very similar firmware. Plugged it in and
it worked straight away :)

The additional MIDI ports the unit provides also appear to work
correctly (though I'm a little sketchy about the amount of testing I did).

> The unit has eight physical faders. Are there "layers"
> which enable mapping to 9 > 16, 17 > 24, etc?

It's time-consuming, but that's how I tackled the BCR - I've programmed
the first four presets to yield 4 banks of 8 channel strips. I've
programmed the four buttons as transport controls for all banks.

I have tended to assign the first bank to session buses - thus 'hiding'
the tracking details.

Seems to work well - the only issue being that reordering the displayed
tracks/buses in Ardour breaks the instinctive mapping between the
on-screen and physical representations of the strip. In my case this is
an inconvenience because I often alternate mixing and tracking - thus
confusing myself with the MIDI bindings.

HTH