Re: [linux-audio-user] recording guitar - level problems

From: Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 14:30:12 EET

On 2/23/06, Guy <sayhi2guy@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Ken Schutte wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've setup a new FC4 system with alsa, jack, etc, and a SB Live card.
> > I'm trying to play some guitar thru the line in (eventually into
> > sooperlooper, maybe audor, etc). No matter what I've tried, if I try
> > to get any significant volume, it's distorted terribly (not to mention
> > some terrible humming - something else I have to look into yet...)
> >
> > Are there any simple guidelines for getting a nice clean guitar sound?
> > Could any one point me in the right direction? or any good references
> > out there?
> >
> > There's seems to be a lot of places to set the levels: guitar, amp,
> > alsamixer (capture, line in), but I feel like I've tried it all. I'd
> > like to go thru my amp first, which has a line out and headphone out.
> > I'm also willing to invest in some new hardware if that's what it takes.
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> Hi
> I have been very happy with the results I have had using a soundblaster
> live card. I go direct in to the breakout box at the front. If in
> doubt for now use alsamixer, as sometimes other volume programs seem to
> work with various degrees of effectiveness. Make sure you have selected
> the right recording input & raised the levels. You can check your
> levels with the jack meterbridge. My guitar hums if it is too near the
> monitor/PC so I have a good long lead & move away as far as I can.
>
> I am so pleased with LADPSPA effects that I do not use my FX box or
> crank up my Marshall. You can use jack-rack as a virtual effects rack.
> If you check the LAU archive some of us were putting up our patches a
> few weeks ago.
>
> The most essential effect is (as has been mentioned) speaker emulation
> found in the CAPS plug ins. It is more important on distorted guitar to
> avoid the famous 'wasp in a jam jar' sound - normally a decent amps
> speaker 'shapes' the sound & avoids this, so if you go direct you have
> to do it digitally.
>
> I have tried Tele, Les paul & Strat types of guitar & gotten a great
> sound with each using Soundblaster Linux & LADSPA. If someone more able
> than I could devise a footswitch a PC ( or even a laptop) could make an
> awesome FX unit.
>
> Regards
> Guy

I forgot to address the volume levels question. The best thing to do
is to set your line-in recording level as low as possible, and
increase the volume going into your line-in port to the maximum level
possible without clipping. Then, increment your line-in level until
you have a maximum volume level coming into your recording app without
clipping. The lower your line-in setting, the better for noise ratio.
You always want to have higher volume earlier in the chain to reduce
noise from gain in the later stages.

With my mixer and my SB Live! 5.1 card, I had my line-in level set to
about 7% or so, and used the mixer's full range. The mixer is very
handy in this regard, as it has level meters that show when the
channel inputs and main output is clipping.

Dana