Re: [linux-audio-user] recording guitar - level problems

From: Ken Schutte <kschutte@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 19:39:44 EET

Brett McCoy wrote:
> Ken Schutte wrote:
>
>> I've setup a new FC4 system with alsa, jack, etc, and a SB Live card.
>> I'm trying to play some guitar thru the line in (eventually into
>> sooperlooper, maybe audor, etc). No matter what I've tried, if I try
>> to get any significant volume, it's distorted terribly (not to mention
>> some terrible humming - something else I have to look into yet...)
>

> What kind of guitar are you using? What kind of pickups?
>
>> Are there any simple guidelines for getting a nice clean guitar sound?
>> Could any one point me in the right direction? or any good references
>> out there?
>>
>> There's seems to be a lot of places to set the levels: guitar, amp,
>> alsamixer (capture, line in), but I feel like I've tried it all. I'd
>> like to go thru my amp first, which has a line out and headphone out.
>> I'm also willing to invest in some new hardware if that's what it takes.
>

> I personally don't recommend going direct into the sound card with a
> guitar, you should at least use a pre-amp or something to boost the
> signal, since the level coming from the pickups is very low, and the
> pre-amp in the sound card can be easy to overdrive with a guitar.
> Something like the M-Audio Audio Buddy or one of the ART MP tube
> pre-amps (both are relatively inexpensive) might be good for some
> things, although a real guitar pre-amp is ideal (and expensive). You can
> also get modeling pre-amps, like the Behrenger V-Amp (only $99 from
> Musician's Friend) or the Line 6 PODxt (about $299) -- these allow you
> to model amplifiers, microphones, rooms, etc., as well as give you a
> variety of effects and tone options. These are great for recording with,
> and you're neighbors will appreciate it also. :-)

The more I think of it, I not too concerned with using my amp (and I'd
rather not have to mic it), so if I could do everything in software that
would be great - I'll definately check out that CAPS plugin.

I'd been trying:

   guitar -> amp ; amp line out -> soundcard

and having the problems that I mentioned. I felt like I tried all the
adjusting of levels, but I'll try some of the tips I got. Most likely,
I'll try and pick up a little preamp, and do:

   guitar (PRS/mccarty pickups) -> M-Audio Audio Buddy mic preamp ->
SBLive Line in -> alsa/jack/caps/etc

Thanks everybody for all the responses!

Ken