Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Free Software vs. Open Source: Where do *you* stand?

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 25 2006 - 23:04:00 EET

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 21:04 -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:00:15PM -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 22:23 -0500, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> > > A song, novel, poem, picture, all have representations that are not
> > > integers. In particular, they are objects (though I contend
> > > that the relevant fact is that they are not integers).
> > >

> > Any song, picture, or novel can be represented as an integer or a
> > series of numbers in the same way. Check out Michael F. Barnsley and
> > Iterated Fractal Systems.
>
> Here's the thing though (and this will become more clear in my next
> paragraph) - a representation of a song/picture/novel/etc *does not
> function* as a song/picture/novel/etc. A computer program is unique
> in this aspect - it IS its integral representation.
>
> > > Since there is no difference between some big integer and a computer
> > > program, you must defend a copyright against either use. You have a
> > > computer program and I am doing math. I email you my results, and it
> > > contains the number of your program. I am using your program without
> > > a license. After all, *you have no way to tell that I am not*.
> > >

> > This is so specious it doesn't deserve an answer. Are you trying to
> > say that there is absolutely no creative process involved in
> > programming?
>
> Not at all! I think I wasn't clear with my claim. I am making a
> careful distinction between an actual computer program (ie, the data
> that my computer actually executes), and the code that we write when
> we program.
>
> > What you're doing is called reverse syllogism.
>
> There are cases when a reverse syllogism is a valid argument. In
> particular, this is a true statement:
>
> > All programs are an integer. That is an integer, therefor it is a
> > program.

    I misunderstood then. I thought you meant it would be a program
that actually did something. Just for grins I made a file with 1 byte
in it. The byte contained the hex value 0x01. I made it executable and
tried to run it. My system says - cannot execute binary file.
Therefore this integer is not a program. While the above may be true in
some cases it is not *always* a true statement.

> Of course, I never said it was necessarily a useful program.
> The problem I see with making a distinction is an epistimological one.
> How can you ever tell the difference? [1]
>
> I think I might write a piece of software that demonstrates this.
> I've been thinking about. It's very easy to write a shell script that
> prints the integer a program makes.
>
> But I couldn't find anything that does the reverse, because the vast
> majority of integers almost certainly don't do anything interesting.
> But in principle it should be easy.
>
> > I definitely accept ownership of software. If I didn't I certainly
> > wouldn't be writing any open source software since ownership and
> > copyright of that software is what protects my code from being usurped
> > by any company around and used without my permission. Is that what you
> > are advocating, that all software should be public domain so that
> > companies that don't release source code can just steal it and hide it
> > from you? Brilliant!
>
> No - I too accept copyrighting of software for pragmatic reasons. The
> reasons you identifed are really good ones. It's also the status quo
> and it's really hard to get by otherwise.
>
> I just find this to be a very difficult arguement to resolve. When
> someone asked about a distinction I've thought about a lot, I thought
> I might stick my idea out into the world ::-)
>
> > A program is an artistic object or at least it can be. Any program
> > that is above the complexity of "Hello World" will be programmed
> > differently by any two programmers. My assumption from reading your
> > professionally (i.e. I get paid for it) for almost 30 years.
>
> I am a programmer, though not professionally at this point. My
> degree is in mathematics, philosophy, and computer science. I guess
> you've also figured I'm strong on the philosophy ::-)
>
> I don't deny the creativity in software development at all. I'm just
> busy being creative in other ways right now!
>

> [1] You know some logic - are you familiar with the proof of Godel's
> Incompleteness Theorem? If so, we're at the point after arithmetic
> has been Godel-numbered: we can no longer distinguish between an
> integer and an arithmetic statement.

    Nope, never heard of it. I thought an integer *was* an arithmetic
statement ;-)

> --
> Ross Vandegrift
> ross@email-addr-hidden
>
> "The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who
> make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians
> have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine
> man in the bonds of Hell."
> --St. Augustine, De Genesi ad Litteram, Book II, xviii, 37

    Yeah, you can't trust those mathematicians ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice