[linux-audio-user] .asoundrc file for an RME Digi9652 card?

From: Jason White <jasonjgw@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 12:30:38 EET

I finally bought an audio card to provide digital i/o to my other equipment.
Thanks to advice last year from subscribers to this list, I managed to get an
RME Digi9652 card on the used market within my budget.

Now to the configuration. I am looking for a working .asoundrc file for this
card. The closest I could find was in a Linux Journal article discussing the
Hammerfall HDSP cards, which are not the same as the Digi9652. I adapted the
configuration found in the article somewhat, but wasn't able to produce
output. The kernel module is loaded and identifies the card:

0000:00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Digi9652
(Hammerfall) (rev 03)

and I have been able to modify the amixer settings (these are appended to this
message for reference).

My attempt at an .asoundrc file is as follows. I don't understand what the
ttable values mean and couldn't find an explanation on the alsa.org site or
elsewhere.

pcm.rme9652 {
 type hw
  card 1
}

lct.rme9652 {
  type hw
  card 1
}

pcm.adat1 {
  type plug
  ttable.0.0 1
  ttable.1.1 1
  ttable.2.2 1
  ttable.3.3 1
  ttable.4.4 1
  ttable.5.5 1
  ttable.6.6 1
  ttable.7.7 1
  slave.pcm rme9652
  }

Note: for testing purposes this is only supposed to cover the first ADAT
interface.

aplay -D adat1
runs without error.

One possible cause of trouble is a hardware conflict I know to exist with an
EEPro 100 network card on my system which doesn't work now that the RME
Digi9652 is installed. I am working on this.

Configuration experiences/suggestions and any .asoundrc file from a working
system would be much appreciated.

Jason.

Amixer settings:

numid=5,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Input Connector'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw---,values=1,items=3
  ; Item #0 'ADAT1'
  ; Item #1 'Coaxial'
  ; Item #2 'Internal'
  : values=1
numid=6,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Output also on ADAT1'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=1
  : values=on
numid=10,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Sample Rate'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=r----,values=1,min=0,max=96000,step=0
  : values=-1
numid=16,iface=MIXER,name='ADAT1 Input Source'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw---,values=1,items=2
  ; Item #0 'ADAT1'
  ; Item #1 'Internal'
  : values=0
numid=11,iface=MIXER,name='ADAT1 Sync Check'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=r----,values=1,items=4
  ; Item #0 'No Lock'
  ; Item #1 'Lock'
  ; Item #2 'No Lock Sync'
  ; Item #3 'Lock Sync'
  : values=0
numid=12,iface=MIXER,name='ADAT2 Sync Check'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=r----,values=1,items=4
  ; Item #0 'No Lock'
  ; Item #1 'Lock'
  ; Item #2 'No Lock Sync'
  ; Item #3 'Lock Sync'
  : values=0
numid=15,iface=MIXER,name='ADAT3 Sync Check'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=r----,values=1,items=4
  ; Item #0 'No Lock'
  ; Item #1 'Lock'
  ; Item #2 'No Lock Sync'
  ; Item #3 'Lock Sync'
  : values=0
numid=9,iface=MIXER,name='Channels Thru'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=26
  : values=on,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off,off
numid=14,iface=MIXER,name='Passthru'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=1
  : values=off
numid=8,iface=MIXER,name='Preferred Sync Source'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw---,values=1,items=4
  ; Item #0 'IEC958 In'
  ; Item #1 'ADAT1 In'
  ; Item #2 'ADAT2 In'
  ; Item #3 'ADAT3 In'
  : values=1
numid=7,iface=MIXER,name='Sync Mode'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw---,values=1,items=3
  ; Item #0 'AutoSync'
  ; Item #1 'Master'
  ; Item #2 'Word Clock'
  : values=1
numid=13,iface=MIXER,name='Timecode Valid'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=r----,values=1
  : values=off
numid=3,iface=PCM,name='IEC958 Playback Con Mask'
  ; type=IEC958,access=r----,values=1
  : values=?
numid=1,iface=PCM,name='IEC958 Playback Default'
  ; type=IEC958,access=rw---,values=1
  : values=?
numid=4,iface=PCM,name='IEC958 Playback Pro Mask'