Re: [linux-audio-user] Quiet PC Components?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 26 2006 - 17:43:10 EET

On 2/26/06, aljordan@email-addr-hidden <aljordan@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been playing with DRC and Brutefir for room correction and
> digital crossover capabilities. The results have been positive and now
> would like to quiet down one of my PC's in order to keep it in my stereo
> system. I am looking for a particularly quiet case, CPU fan (for Athlon
> 64), and a video card that does not need a fan (hopefully NVidia based
> or something that is easy to configure in Linux). I can't afford the
> expensive fanless PC cases (heat pipe style).
>
> For those who have tried to silence their PC, any information on the
> component brands and model numbers that you have had success with would
> be much appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Alan

Hi Alan,
   I'm using a Cooler Master case. The closest I could find on their
site today is this one:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/CoolerMaster/Products.aspx?pid=118

In that I've got an Antec 500 W power supply. Closest available today
looks like this one:

http://www.antec.com/us/pro_p_NeoHE.html

On top of the AMD64 I've got a Zalman fan. I got it from NewEgg. It's
this one or one very similar:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118112

I use a moderately priced VGA with no fan so no noise. The whole box
is very quiet, but not silent. It makes far less noise than my Win XP
machine but is not as quiet as my Mac Mini.

Hope this helps,
Mark