Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Companies Refusing to Release/Permit Linux Drivers

From: fons adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 27 2006 - 01:20:30 EET

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 08:28:20AM -0800, Maluvia wrote:

> What I *have* been wondering for a long time is why the AD/DA
> technology is stuck at 24-bit?

For audio it's 'stuck' well below 24 bits.

> I've already heard all the brush-off arguments: nobody needs anything
> higher, you can't hear the difference

Perfectly valid arguments.

> I *can* hear the difference, and bit-depth is far more critical
> to audio fidelity than sample-rate.

Bullshit. If you can hear the difference between a 20 bit converter
and a >20 bit one, what you hear is the difference between two
converters, regardless of the number of bits they use.

> I want to build a digital recording system that has the same fidelity
> as a 24-track reel-to-reel, and I believe this can in fact be achieved

Even 16 bits correctly dithered is better than 24 tracks on a 2 inch tape.

--
FA