[linux-audio-user] Re: Digital Fidelity (Maluvia)

From: Phil Mendelsohn <phil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 18:07:37 EET

So Maluvia says:

>>I built some D/As out of a Crystal 24-bit evaluation board that blew the
>>socks off an equivalent Apogee -- with a good clean power supply and
>>clock. For about $200 US!
>
> Wow - that's really encouraging!
> (BTW, where does one come by something like a Crystal evaluation board?)

If you can convince a Crystal Semiconductor wholesaler that they should
sell an engineering eval. unit to you, then that's where. I don't know
who the industrial distributors might be for your region, though. You can
try this for other companies as well.

>>For A/D, I found that a 20-bit Burr-Brown chip
>>*sounded* better than the Apogees at 44.1/48k and 24-bit, though most of
>>that was still the input filtering.

Caveat: yes -- that did include a careful and good word-clock. I agree
with all comments about jitter _at the convertor_ I've seen so far; but
most decent convertors won't mangle an external clock, and you can add a
spendy stable clock later if you like -- just add next year's tax-refund
as well!

Cheers,
Phil M

--
Dept. of Mathematics, 342 Machray Hall
U. of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2