Re: [linux-audio-user] Web-based collaborative band/musicians app?

From: Paul Winkler <pw_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 19:08:01 EET

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 01:53:52AM +0900, hard off wrote:
> just out of interest, if you have 2 people on opposite sides of the
> globe both with broadband connections....how much latency are you
> looking at if you send (control) data by OSC ???
>
> is internet-based jamming still science fiction?

Gaming might offer some interesting comparisons here.
It is very difficult to get good latency when playing against
somebody around the world, and even worse for musicians,
there's a lot of variability (some packets arrive very late, packets are dropped
completely, etc.) which can be smoothed in two ways: by increasing
buffer sizes (and latency), and/or by predicting what was going
to happen in the packets that didn't show up. The latter techique
probably has to be tweaked heavily to the physics model of the game
in question.

I wonder how well that approach could be applied to music?
My intuition is that it would be very very hard to generalize.

--
Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com