Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Companies Refusing to Release/Permit Linux Drivers

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 20:50:19 EET

On Fri March 3 2006 13:17, Maluvia wrote:
> Last time I checked, Wal-Mart was selling Microtels with
> Linspire preinstalled - the least expensive ones, not
> coincidentally. I find this encouraging, at least.

Walmart.com is, but if you go into any Wal-Mart in the world
hoping to buy a PC with Linux preinstalled (or even with no OS
at all) you'll come out empty-handed. Also, if the Microtel
PC's are anything like the laptop we bought through Linspire a
couple years ago, they just did a default install and didn't
even bother trying to get all the hardware working (the Linspire
branded laptop has a Winmodem and flash card reader in it that
have never worked.)

But it is good that the biggest retailer in the world knows about
Linux and sells it somewhere, even if it's only online (and even
if they're bastards of the highest order otherwise.)

Rob